Thursday, October 14, 2010

Fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it. Fix it.

Blah blah blah, 4.0.1 is live, blah blah. New talents are here, old ones are gone. New stats are here, old ones are gone. New graphical interfaces, new point systems, new new new new!

IT'S FUCKING NEW AND IMPROVED!

Not really. I know this music. I've heard it before. I heard it two years ago, and another few years again before that.

Maybe I'm just getting old, well, wait, I know I am getting old. Maybe I'm just getting crankier over the fact that they're cutting my Social Security again, but I'm starting to get really tired of this part of every expansion. Some of you might know what I'm talking about when I say "this part", and if you do, well, you've probably seen it just as many times as I have. If you don't know what I'm talking about, if your expansion cherry hasn't been popped yet, well, welcome aboard and then get off my golf course.

Now, here's a little tidbit in case any of my information is wrong: my account is currently inactive. It's been inactive for a few months now, as noted by my inactivity here. Do I plan on reactivating it anytime soon? No. I'll jump back on when the expansion hits, but until that time, I'm thoroughly enjoying making Texa$-sized holes in the sides of buildings in Battlefield: Bad Company 2.

Of course, that's not to say that I haven't been paying attention to the World...of Warcraft. I know all too well the changes that have been made, I spend a good chunk of my day flittering about on MMO Champion, eying the blue posts and what have you. What can I say? Old habits die hard. So, on paper I am quite well-informed, don't get that wrong. I just haven't had the chance to see it first hand. Not like it really matters, though, from what I've heard people that are ICC 277+ are having issues getting through the old school heroics. Threat is everywhere, and tanks are getting holes punched in them like a pre-Wrath paladin mana bar. In short, I don't think I'm missing much, and I don't really want to be diddering about with a bunch of priests with 30k HP that think they are fucking boss hoss just because their stats got worked around. That, and the fact that I really don't feel like relearning how to play my class for the third time.

Right, so where was I? I know what's going on in the world, I'm not deaf. I still do my reading, I just don't want to bother with it right now, but I will when the expansion hits, you know...when it actually means something. Coincidentally, after hearing how badly things are going with people relearning how to play their characters, I can see why Blizzard got rid of the Chill of the Throne debuff in ICC. For some reason in my head I just hear the announcer from Smash TV saying, "GOOD LUCK! YOU'LL NEED IT!" while this ten main raid is running around trying to bag big money, big prizes.

If that little reference doesn't make sense, go here, it might help, or at least it'll make you feel nostalgic for some old school classic arcade action.

Anyway, I keep getting distracted. As I was saying, I've seen this all before, most people that are fanatics of this MMO have seen it as well. The last big patch comes out of the current expansion: Naxx, Sunwell, Ruby Sanctum (lolzrite?), and then we get hints from the blues, an actual release date for the next expansion, and finally...the new talents. Whammo. I'll admit, I was pretty excited when this happened the first two times, because each time I was coming at it from a different angle. Vanilla going into BC I was a holy paladin, and I really enjoyed seeing some of the new toys to play with. BC going into Wrath I was swinging the retribution stick, and it was cool, sure, but some of the flair had gone. This time, though? It's just kinda...meh. I don't care, I want an iPhone 4.

Sure you can play with the new stuff for a bit, but there's no guarantee any of it is going to stick until you get that copy of the expansion in your hands. Maybe I'm just a bit more cranky about this because this would be the third playstyle I've had to learn in as many expansions, but I'm sure there are other classes out there that are starting to feel the strain as well. I just don't see why people get so fixated on any of this junk just yet. None of it is really in stone, and it could all go out the window next Tuesday for all we know. Yes, the chances of that happening aren't very big, but as long as the guys are still working on the coefficients and all that jargon, why bother with trying to number crunch and theorycraft just yet?

There's a reason that one of the options for canceling your World of Warcraft account is "Waiting for expansion", and I'm glad for it. It says "Waiting for expansion", not "Waiting for the big patch to show off the new shit just before the expansion". It's two months away still, and that's plenty of time to play redecorator with my Carl Gustav special.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're back, even if it is a fake, not really all the way back, I'll take it

    ReplyDelete